Hand, foot and mouth disease is a highly contagious viral disease that primarily affects young children, most commonly in the summer and early fall. Hand, foot and mouth disease causes include contact with bodily fluids from someone who is infected. A few days after being exposed to the virus, hand, foot and mouth disease symptoms appear, which include painful sores in the mouth. Natural hand, foot and mouth disease treatment methods can help reduce pain and speed healing.
Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease Causes and Risk Factors
- Being an infant or young child who has not yet been exposed to the virus
- Spending time with young children in close quarters
- Poor hygiene practice
- Contact with bodily fluids from someone who is infected
Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease Symptoms
- General malaise
- Reduced appetite
- Sore throat
- Slight Fever
- Painful sores in the mouth
- Small red spots on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet
- Rash that spreads to the buttocks, elbows, knees and the genitals
- Red spots that morph into blisters
Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease Treatment
1. Cool Foods and Soups
Hard foods may be too painful to eat, but cool foods and soups can help fill the body with the nutrients it needs to fight the infection. Avoid salty, spicy and acidic foods that may irritate sores.
2. Coconut Water Ice Cubes
Hand, foot and mouth disease causes dehydration. Frozen coconut water ice cubes can help relieve pain and discomfort while replenishing the body with potassium and electrolytes to prevent dehydration.
3. Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salts are often used to soothe irritated skin and detoxify the body. Soaking in a warm Epsom salt bath can help provide relief from hand, foot and mouth disease painful symptoms.
4. Oil Pulling
Older children and adults who develop hand, foot and mouth disease can try oil pulling to fight bacteria in the mouth. Coconut oil can help detoxify the mouth to create a healthy environment that is toxic to viruses and bacteria.
Astragalus is an adaptogen herb that has the ability to stimulate the immune system and fight viruses. You can find it in capsules, tea and topical application forms at your local food store.
6. Herbal Tea
- Ginger Root: Ginger is known for its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Simmer a one-inch piece of peeled and bruised ginger root in a quart of water for 20 minutes. Strain and cool to room temperature.
- Rooibos: Rooibos tea can help speed healing while fighting the virus that causes hand, foot and mouth disease. Drink once cup a day to help fight infection.
7. Essential Oils
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is a powerful antiviral, antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Add a few drops to a natural hand soap or lotion to speed healing.
- Lemon Oil: Lemon oil can be applied topically to help heal and nourish the skin. Add it to a natural hand soap or body wash to fight off infection.
- Clove Oil: Clove oil has powerful antiviral, anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties. Mix a few drops with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, then use it as a mouthwash to relieve sores.
- Lavender Oil: Lavender oil can help promote a good night’s sleep when you’re sick. Diffuse it in your bedroom as a natural insomnia treatment.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can work as a hand, foot and mouth disease treatment for rashes and blisters. Gently apply coconut oil to your skin to help kill bacteria, provide relief and speed healing.
9. Pink Himalayan Salt
To help reduce painful hand, foot and mouth disease symptoms, mix 1/2 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt into a glass of water. Swoosh the mixture around in your mouth, spit it out then repeat. The salt will help balance pH levels and support a healthy immune response.
Elderberry has been used for centuries to boost the immune system, promote healthy skin and fight off viruses. Make a homemade elderberry syrup to soothe pain and speed recovery time.
Echinacea is an herb that can help boost the immune system, fight infections and improve skin problems. The extract is the most effective form of the herb when using it for immune system support.
12. Licorice Root
Studies have shown that licorice root has powerful antiviral properties. Drink licorice root tea with raw honey to help your body fight off the virus that causes hand, foot and mouth disease.